Monday, 27 June 2016

Words of Desmond Tutu from No Future without Forgiveness

One book that I have constantly on my desk at home is "You have breath for no more that 99 words.  What would they be?"  This is a collection of thoughts from inspirational people around the world.  Someone I have always admired is Archbishop Desmond Tutu, I am glad that the following words from him are in the book.  These are words to look up to, words to aim for and words that if understood can have an amazing effect on our lives.


So here are 97 words from the Archbishop.


"Ubuntu is very difficult to render into a Western language. It speaks of the very essence of being human. When we want to give high praise to someone we say, "Yu, u nobuntu",; "Hey, he or she has Ubuntu." This means they are generous, hospitable, friendly, caring and compassionate.  They share what they have.  It also means my humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in theirs.  We belong in a bundle of life... It is not 'I think therefore I am'. It says rather: 'I am human because I belong.' I participate, I share."

No comments:

Post a Comment